Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What am I doing with my life?

That question I try not to ask myself has been hop-scotching through my thoughts quite frequently as of late. I'm a few days away from being done with my fall semester of my fourth year at Youngstown State University and I have zero emotion about it besides glad it's going to be a break.

The thing is this semester was easy and I'll be the first to admit I didn't try as hard as I should have. I breezed through some classes and spent all my time focusing on Fiction Writing. I wrote more stories than necessary and focused more on finishing obscure flash fiction stories about fucking in public places than I did doing important "upper division" work. So, I have this proposal due which is the first assignment that truly relates to my major and as I've suffered through it all I can think is, "I hate this."
I was writing a proposal for a non-profit Youngstown based organization that I truly believe has some good projects going on, yet all I can think about is how I do NOT want to be doing it. I'm starting to retreat and think moving away and finding a job somewhere is more appealing than having a degree. I clearly understand that not having a degree is not a smart decision to make, but with connections and opportunities I've had lately I think working my way up somewhere is almost smarter than me continuing to BARELY get by with Cs in school. The people I've been meeting and experiences I've been having are teaching me more than I've been taught at school ( I know obviously education is important and things I learn in school I won't learn in the "real world", but right now that seems irrelevant.)

I've been hanging out and playing music with a kid who buys antiques and re-sells them. That is literally ALL he does. He buys things and sells them. Some years he has made almost a six-digit salary. What the shit? I'm going to be going to school til 2013-14 (hopefully) and here's a kid who didn't go to college and is making enough money to own a house and music studio, because he buys things and then sells them.

Everything I feel accomplished about from this semester has almost nothing to do with school, besides the fiction stories. I have been involved on some project building and made some relationships that have been more beneficial to me than anything I've got since 2008 when I started attending YSU.

What am I doing with my life? I wish I could tell you, but I know that you're not going to tell me. I'll smooth talk my way into somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment